Joseph was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He is a 1986 graduate of Central High School and has been a lifelong resident of the third district. Joseph enlisted in the United States Air Force after graduation. He served in Operation Desert Storm and with North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Coalition Forces during the Bosnian War.
Joseph lives in the Santa Fe Place Neighborhood. He is a parent of four children and has grandchildren who attend the Kansas City Public Schools.
- Masters of Business Administration – Wayland Baptist University, Plainview, Texas
- Bachelors of Science in Business Administration – Wayland Baptist University, Plainview, Texas
- Associate of Business – Wayland Baptist University, Plainview, Texas
- Associate of Applied Science – Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell, Alabama
Joseph’s Professional Experience
- 2018 Graduate, Kansas City Missouri, Citizens Police Academy
- Vice Chair, Kansas City Land Bank Board of Advisors, May 2016 – Present
- Member, Prospect MAX Committee 2012- Present
- Member, Community Response Team, 2012- Present
- Host, Cowtown Conversations on 90.1 FM Thursday mornings from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. July 2017 to Present
- Co-Host, Urban Connections on 90.1 FM Saturdays afternoons from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. May 2015 to Feb 2017
- 2016 Graduate of Center for Neighborhoods Class, Cohort 1
- President, Santa Fe Area Council Neighborhood Association, November 2012- February 2017
- Board Member, Santa Fe Area Council, September 2007-February 2017
- 2015 Graduate, Kansas City Missouri, Citizens Police Academy
- Executive Director, Historic East Neighborhood Coalition September 2015 – September 2016
- Director of Economic Development for Black Agenda Group 2014-2015
- 2014 Graduate, Kansas City Missouri, Community Engagement University
- Treasurer and Member of the Board of Directors for the Kansas City Public Schools 2012-2014
- Member of Board of Directors for the Kansas City Public Schools 2010-2012
- Kansas City Neighborhood Advisory Council 2010-2017, President from 2014 to 2017
Joseph in the Community
As a member of the Kansas City School Board, Joseph spearheaded the task force that was successful in getting the stoplights turned back on across Kansas City when they were turned off in 2010. He also worked with the City Council in 2012 to draft the truancy ordinance for the Kansas City Public School District. As Executive Director of Historic East Neighborhood Coalition he worked to help residents affected by the gas leak from Inner City Oil gas station located at the corner of 27th and Cleveland. Since 2016, Joseph has worked with Jerusalem Farms and the Center for Conflict Resolution on neighborhood accountability boards to help residents who have received property code violation notices from the City of Kansas City, Missouri.
Joseph in Leadership
Joseph was elected to the Kansas City Missouri School Board from 2010 to 2014. He was the Treasurer for the Kansas City Public Schools from 2012 to 2014.